All of the wedding plans are set, the details of your Hawaiian honeymoon have all been ironed out, and you’re looking forward to your big day – as well as the relaxing, romantic getaway that comes after.
While a ton of careful planning goes into the wedding and honeymoon, don’t overlook the essential items to pack for Hawaii!
In the whirlwind of your wedding (including the hectic days leading up to it) and the excitement of the trip, it’s easy to let little things like “what to pack” slip your mind.
To make your life a bit easier, here’s a handy checklist of Hawaiian honeymoon essentials.
What to Pack for a Hawaiian Honeymoon
Start with the Right Type of Clothes
Clothing is usually the bulk of what we pack for a vacation, and a honeymoon is no exception. Remember that part of Hawaii’s charm is the relaxing, casual atmosphere and tropical vibes. Think shorts and sundresses, flip-flops (or slippas as the Hawaiians call them) and don’t forget a sun hat!
- Summery “regular” clothes: shorts, tank tops, etc.
- Comfortable “nice” clothes for dinner outings (most dress codes are still very casual)
- Swimsuits and swim trunks – better bring a couple!
- A light jacket or sweater – it can be chilly at night
- A light rain poncho if you plan on hiking
- Flip flops or sandals
- A hat to help block the sun from your eyes
- Sneakers or walking shoes for daily wear
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Socks, underwear, pajamas
Important Extras to Pack
Your honeymoon is a romantic escape from daily responsibilities, and you’ll want to make sure to stay comfortable! You’ll be glad you remembered these items, but you can likely get them on the island if you leave something behind.
- Personal items like deodorant, skin care products, and a toothbrush
- Valid ID (double check that expiration date!)
- Phone and charger
- Tote bag (plastic bags are banned in Hawaii)
- Reef-safe sunscreen
- Small backpack or bag for excursions
- Prescriptions (in their original containers)
- Reusable water bottle
What Not to Pack
It may sound odd, but leaving some things behind is just as important as what you bring. There’s no use taking up the limited space in your luggage with items you don’t need or can’t use.
Beyond avoiding unnecessary items, the time you spend on your Hawaiian honeymoon is supposed to be relaxing and fun, a time to create memories and connect with your new spouse.
Here’s what you won’t need on your honeymoon (and why):
- High heeled shoes – they’re no good in sand or rocky terrain, and Hawaii is full of it
- Expensive jewelry – it could get lost, why risk it?
- Coats or heavy sweaters – Hawaii is mild all year, in every season
- Basic toiletries like soap and shampoo – your hotel or resort will likely provide excellent options
- Laptops and other work – this is a big one, and unless you absolutely can’t avoid it, leave it at home! Your honeymoon will be more enjoyable if you unplug and leave distractions at home
As you prepare for your honeymoon in Hawaii, take a little time to pack the basics a few days before you leave. You can always refer back to our list to make sure you’re not forgetting anything!
For more travel tips, or to get started planning your next trip, contact Sunset Travel & Cruise today!